Hi - well it was another really great day. Lexie is getting more and more comfortable, and she is just having loads of fun. We have laughed until we are blue in the face, and she is even entertaining the others in our group. If anybody at dinner started laughing, about anything, Lexie would start cracking up, which of course led to more and more laughter by the rest of us. She likes it when we're all having fun.
This afternoon we went to the zoo, and it was NOT like a trip with Nana. It was like zoo express. I had the impression that our tour guide had done the zoo several times, so she would stop for about 3.5 seconds at each animal and then would move along. So, I can't say that Lexie really had an educational experience, but it was fun nonetheless. I'm not sure she knew what the animals really were, or if she'd even ever seen them before - but it was so quick, that I know we'll be doing the zoo at home before too long.
The funniest thing here is when you see babies just squat and go to the bathroom wherever - kinda gross to say the least! They wear the split pants and no diapers, so little tots, even younger than Lexie's age, just squat where they are and go to the bathroom. Or, like I think I said before, they just hold their babies over a big trash can. Lexie squats to tinkle, but she's wearing a diaper so she looks to see where the tinkle went and can't find it. Truly, I can't believe that they can train babies to do it, but I have seen it with my own eyes. If I put Lexie over the potty, she will go to the bathroom. Now, she doesn't always wait to go, but she does know what to do and has done it several times. It's so different - we all just keep saying, it's the Asian way...
Not too much else happened today - except... big news. Last night when Lexie started crying, Billy and I put her in bed with us. I put my arm on her to rub her back, and she picked up my hand and put it down, away from her - typical. BUT, then she reached over and held my hand. It was a small gesture, but huge at the same time. Tonight I was lying in bed while she fell asleep, and although she was trying to make me laught the whole time (and it worked), she wasn't crying!!! She even fell asleep with me in there. I hope this means we are making some progress and that maybe her nights will be easier.
Tomorrow morning is Lexie's physical - which our government requires before she can get her visa to come into the States. After that, we have the famous RED COUCH photo. For those of you who don't know, this hotel is where almost all families from America stay to complete the adoption process. They have this big red couch, and everybody takes a picture of their travel group around this world famous sofa. Our group decided that the girls would all wear Chinese dresses, so we went out tonight and bought a really pretty hot pink dress for Lexie. I kinda wanted them to wear American clothes, since that's where we're headed, but I was in the minority and kept my mouth closed. It will be a cute picture either way - I'm anxious for you to see all the other little girls, and a few boys in our group. After that we have a big celebration TEA here in the hotel, so that should be a crazy event, but lots of fun.
We miss you - I can't believe we're IN the week when we get to come home. HOORAY!!! For those of you who have asked when we arrive, my mom has all the flight info if you want to meet us at the airport - if you want to call her. I can't promise what we'll be like, but we'll be happy to see you.
We love you!!