Tuesday, September 4, 2007

We finally got THE call!!

Today reminded me of the last week I was pregnant with the girls, and every time I called my Mom, she would say - is it time? Every time I called her today, she would say - have you heard?? I'm not sure who is more excited, her or me? I finally received the most awaited phone call (I think) of my entire life at 4pm. Holt called me right before Tori's and Katie's volleyball game started this afternoon to tell me they received our referral! I immediately ran in and interrupted warm-ups (sorry Meg!) to tell the girls the news.... Our baby is currently living in this orphanage, pictured, (Nanchang Social Welfare Institute) in the Jiangxi provice. Her birthday is June 23rd, 2006, which makes her about 14 months old right now, and then about 16 months old when we get her. I was a little shocked that she is so old (and sad that she's been there for so long), but Lisa reminded me that God placed us together before even I was born. I know without a doubt that that's true. Anyhow, her Chinese birth name is Hong Yun Qi. Hong is actually her last name, which they take from the director of the orphanage; I've been told. It's up for debate as to what Yun Qi means. Eddie says it means fortune and good luck, but when Tori and I looked, we found Yun to mean "cloud," and Qi to mean "fine jade" or "enlightenment." I'll keep researching! :-) The only info they could give me is that she wakes at 5:30 every morning (yay! we'll be able to go to morning mass!), that she goes to bed at 9pm (through the night?!?), that she takes a 3 hour nap (loving that, nap taker that I am), and that she likes rice cereal - AND that she has lots of hair. I'm hoping I'll get more to go on very soon, and I'm guessing that all of the above will change when we finally get her back home. This is the most surreal experience - I can't even tell you how strange and exciting it is to know that you have a child waiting for you on the other side of the earth. I can hardly eat or sleep thinking about it - I want to go there to get her tomorrow!!! Oh well, God is teaching me patience amongst other things, I'm sure. We will get her picture on Thursday morning, and I'll post it right away. I can't wait to see that little face.