Friday, November 9, 2007

Day 1 in Beijing Great Wall





Hi everyone! Well, today was an unbelievable day! It's so amazing that we are actually here and that we walked along the Great Wall of China this morning. This morning we had breakfast - Tori and I ate mostly bread because we were afraid of everything. :-) Billy wasn't so scared; I think he was starving. We went on a tour bus and drove 2 hours to the Great Wall, during which we had an awesome guide, Pan, who shared all kinds of facts and history about China. I took notes so I'll type them up and post them, maybe later tonight if I don't fall asleep. We then arrived at the Great Wall of China, which was just breathtaking, unbelievably beautiful. It is so hard to believe that people built it on the mountains like they did. It was hard to walk on in some spots because the stairs are very uneven, but we did our best, mostly trying to keep up with Tori. We took lots of pictures - which you'll see. The weather was gorgeous, so it was perfect! On the way down you go through a place with all these vendors who are very pushy and intrusive, trying to sell you their goods. Billy, the great salesperson that he is, failed. We were told that we should only pay 1/2 or less of the asking price, but Billy paid more because he felt badly for the ladies. :-) I might have to do the shopping - actually this might be the one place where I WON'T buy anything because the bargaining makes me so uncomfortable. They try to get your attention by saying "I remember you, beautiful, only one dollar!" You have to just keep walking... It's very dry here and the pollution kind of sits in your throat - so we've been drinking tons of water. Anyway, here are some pictures of the Great Wall. Billy and Tori want to go eat, so I'll have to send the rest later. Thank you for the prayers - they are working as things are going beautifully. Love to all of you,

K