Sunday, March 8, 2009

February in a nutshell

I can't believe that I have been as remiss as I have in updating our blog - it has been hectic, as usual, so I thought I'd better play a little catch up for all of you who have asked me - why are there not any new pictures???  So, I'll give you some recent ones, though maybe pretty random ones...
 
January 29th was my second surgery, so that put me a little behind the 8 ball.  On top of that, the most violent flu spread through the family (5 days of diarrhea and vomiting) so it was stressful beyond belief.  Billy, Lexie, and my Mom were struck, and I spend the entire week wondering how my stitches would endure it if I were to get it.  God, thankfully, spared me of that one, so we made it through that week, never to be relived... we hope.
 
February was eventful as I celebrated my 40th birthday.  Billy surprised me by flying my best buddy, Tammy, in to see me.  I hadn't seen her for 7 years and she came walking in my kitchen one night and I almost died.  Then, they threw a party for me and my cousin from CA was there - another shock.  It was the most wonderful celebration!  On my actual birthday weekend, we traveled to AL where Katie had a VB tournament.  Her 12 and 13 year old team played against 13 and 14 year olds and won the entire thing!  It was tense for 2 full days but was so much fun to watch them pull together and win the tournament.  Katie was excited as never before.  And to top off the excitement, our Tori turned 15 this weekend.  UGH - I can hardly believe she is that old - the time has flown, literally flown.  And, I can honestly say that the tiredness (physically) with having toddlers doesn't even compare to the emotional drain that it takes to have a teenager.  When their hearts hurt, mine hurts - it's a connection that never goes away - just gets stronger with time.  They're both really good kids, so I thank God for that; and I pray pray pray for them constantly.
 
So, what is Lexie up to??  Well, let's see... she LOVES Dora the Explorer more than anything!  Barney gladly has been replaced.  She watches her almost everyday and can sing every song, dance every dance, and she screams out LOUD each time Swiper comes to swipe his item of choice.  As a result, Lexie thinks that "swipe" is a common verb in our language - she'll say - hey Katie, don't swipe my cookie.  She's talking up a storm - full sentences, though I understand her much better than a random stranger.  Some of her pronunciations aren't great - but she can get the point across very well.  She can count to about 20, knows all her letters and some sounds, counts to 10 in Spanish, and even knows a few Spanish colors.  She LOVES to read books, and Kindermusik and ballet class are the highlight of the week.  She's finally learned to pedal the tricycle and can't wait until she can play soccer and "volleyballie" like her sisters.  Most importantly, she is such a happy little girl and she is still so loving.  When we were in AL last weekend, the people there just couldn't get over the fact that she is just so fun and happy all the time.  Now, she has her melt down moments occasionally, but for the most part she gets along very well without much fuss.  She's very quick to say sorry when she is wrong and loves doing the right thing, or making mommy happy.  I call her my angel-baby, and she'll say - no Mommy, you're my angel baby.  I have no doubt that she was our gift for our family, sent by God.  It is so evident that she belongs with us - I will go to my grave thanking God for entrusting her to our care.  My little Lexie angel baby. 
 
We've started talking a little bit about being born in China, how Mommy and Daddy prayed to God for a new baby, and how we flew all the way across the world to get her.  I just hope that she will know, deep deep down in her heart, that there is no possible way that we could ever love her more than we do right now.  All 4 of us are totally and completely in love with this little girl who has united us all with a cause.  She is our reason for so much that we do - our glue, our joy and our love.  Thank you for sharing this journey with us. 
 
*  Ok, a little cute story.  We were leaving church last weekend (sneaking out a bit early I might add because of Katie's VB tournament) and Lexie says, loudly, as she waves at the crucifix, "Bye God, see you tomorrow, you're everywhere."  In that little baby voice, not pronouncing the r's well - it was probably the cutest thing I've heard in a very long time.  We all, along with the people around us, melted right there on the spot.  Out of the mouth of babes, God IS everywhere.