Ni Hao (Hello!) Hi! I'm back, finally! As many of you know, I came down with shingles (probably at about the time I last posted), so I got very behind with my blog. :-) That on top of preparing for my next surgery was more than I think my brain and body could handle, along with the holidays and then starting school back up again. But, we're now back in the groove and back to business as usual, thankfully.
So, today we celebrated the Chinese New Year for the first time. For Chinese families, this is one of the most important holidays as it celebrates the beginning of the new year according to the lunar calendar - we are now in 2009, the year of the OX! Though we didn't do all of the traditions and festivities, we did a couple and will hopefully add to these as Lexie gets older. For this year, we just did the following things (which were a lot of fun!).
1) Before New Years, many Chinese people will buy new clothes or cut their hair in order to have a "fresh start." So, Lexie got a brand new outfit and 2 new pairs of shoes - Dora the Explorer boots, and pink tennis shoes that light up. Red is encouraged because it is associated with warding off bad spirits. SO, Lexie sported her red Chinese dress which used to be too big, and it fit her beautifully!
2) Lexie received a bouquet of flowers because flowers symbolize the beginning of spring and a NEW beginning. She, Tori, and Katie all received the traditional little red envelope with money. In China it is a traditional practice for adults to give children these envelopes (hong bao) filled with money to symbolize wealth and prosperity in the coming year.
3) Lastly, we went to our favorite Chinese restaurant, where they love Lexie, and we ate a few of the foods that are traditionally eaten on the eve of the Chinese New Year. We had dumplings (symbolic because they look like gold nuggets), noodles (served to symbolize long life), and Lexie received a bunch of oranges (perfectly round, symbolizing completeness and wholeness). Then, Lexie practiced using her chopsticks and threw everyone for a loop when she ended the night with a loud serenade of "Happy Birthday" to the entire family. Ok, she was confused... she knew it was a celebration... just couldn't remember exactly what one it was.
4) Tradition I would have LIKED to have done but will shoot for next year - prior to the first day of the New Year, it is customary for families to thoroughly clean their homes, from top to bottom. This clears out bad luck from the previous year and prepares the house for good luck in the coming year. (I guess I should HAVE done this one - I could use some good luck this year!)
All joking aside, it was a wonderful year and will continue to be a great 2009. God has blessed us in so many ways, and we are so thankful for each day of each year. Though we've had our bumps and crosses to bear along the way, nothing has diminished our joy for life, our gratitude for each blessing, or our love for each other. I think I'm happier than I have ever been and look forward to the year that will unfold. Thank you for walking with us along this path of life, and know that you are close in our hearts and prayers.
Happy New Year!
Love,
Kerri