Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Domestication of Lexie's Adoption







Yesterday documented another momentous date in our adoption with our little angel, Lexie. As some of you know, the final step with an international adoption is to "domesticate" the adoption. This isn't a necessary step, but provides us with an extra piece of insurance and allows Lexie to have an American birth certificate like her sisters. We will actually receive a birth certificate that makes it look as if I gave birth to Lexie in Nanchang in 2006. Basically, it states that we were her parents from the beginning - and there could not be a greater truth. Anybody who is with our family for more than a day or two can see that this little girl was ours in God's eyes way before we knew it to be true. She is so much a part of us that I really have to convince myself that I did not physically give birth to her on that day in June. I couldn't love her any more than if I had done so - she is totally and completely ours, and we grow more in love with her every day.






So, all of that aside, yesterday was quick and efficient, but pretty cool. We got to the courthouse and were entertained by Lexie while we waited. Our whole family came along with Pop Pop and Nana, Mimi, and our faithful Papas who are by our side through thick and thin. We had to swear to tell the whole truth, etc.. and answer a few questions about the adoption, then finally had to promise that we would take care of Lexie forever. We were so happy to have every body with us because it made it that much more momentous. So, here are some shots of us with Judge Bagley and the gang. Enjoy!