For any of you with dogs, you know when the cone head comes into play - and it's painful to watch your dog bump into things and struggle to fall asleep with a big 'ole cone on his head. Lexie, however, is quite jealous of Tobi's beautiful "hat," so whenever I take it off of him, so that he can eat, she is quick to snatch it and wear it for the short minutes when Tobi's head gets a breather. As always, she keeps me laughing; you can see why.
Lately Lexie's been changing quite a bit - each day brings a new word or two or three. She's trying to sing the ABCs since Nana's been singing them to her quite a bit. She is great at giving squeeze hugs (named by Tori and Katie) when you least expect it, yet when you most need it. When we say "I love you" to Lexie, she responds LOVE! It's so cute - I can't imagine my heart melting more when she learns the entire phrase. We're potty training half the time - it's going quite well, minus the times when she's outside and distracted... in the house it's pretty easy, so we're going with that for the time being. We've branched off of Goodnight Moon and Air Buddies to a variety of other books (thank God), and to a couple of Elmo and Barney DVDs, and her favorite things to play with do not involve toys. Rather, she entertains herself in the kitchen for hours with merely a tea towel, my pots and pans, a pencil and paper, or even just a box of cards. At times she is more curious, though, and I chase her from one thing to the next - no don't draw on the computer monitor, that's the doggie's water, garbage bags stay in the garbage can baby, leave the ice maker door shut please, Missy doesn't like your hat on her face Lexie - it can be exhausting some days, but yes, still fun, and we love life with her.
I have felt exceptionally grateful this week, and I feel so sad, and humbled, at the same time. Hearing the story about Steven Curtis Chapman's daughter's death has really stunned me, and so many people, to tears. It always makes me realize, in the face of a sudden, unexpected death, how precious these moments we have with our girls are. I sit in awe at Tori and Katie, one who will graduate from 8th grade, the other just having completed one year of middle school, and I cannot believe that they are mine and that the years have gone by so quickly. The years with them have been so full, exciting, trying, wonderful, blessed. I am so thankful that God gave them to us, and then Lexie, the unexpected blessing a little later in life. I know that in a moment everything can change, and I look at them differently today, knowing that each second with them is a treasure. I hope I will not take one of them for granted and that I will learn to love better each day. I make many mistakes along the way, for sure, but deep down I love these little girls with all that I am; I pray they always know that. Anyhow, today I hope we all hug our kids a little more often, a little longer, and with the realization that each minute is precious.